1 cup butter or margarine, divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (If self-rising flour is not available, use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder.)
1/3 cup milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
- In a 10-in. round or oval baking dish, melt 1/2 cup butter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts; set aside.
- Place flour in a mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead three or four times.
- Roll out to an 11-in. x 9-in. rectangle 1/4 in. thick. Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style.
- Cut into 1/4-in. thick slices.
- Carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter. Pour sugar syrup around slices (syrup will be absorbed).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over top and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve warm or cold.